Panopto Classroom Lecture Capture Quick Guide
Record your in-person class for later viewing. For the highest audio quality, please be sure to turn on and use either the lavalier or handheld classroom mics.
- Log into the classroom computer then to your ELMS-Canvas course space.
- Select Panopto Recordings from the course menu. You may have to enable this menu item in the settings if you haven't done so already. – it takes a moment for Panopto to load.
- Select Create at the top of the page.
- Select Panopto for Windows from the dropdown menu (the course folder is the default – if you want to organize recordings within a course, you can create additional folders here).
- Select Launch Panopto then select Open on the following Panopto prompt.
- Under the box entitled Primary Sources, select a video and audio source for the recording. If you are in a Terp Classroom, be sure to share to send the room camera to the "shared video" source button on the Crestron panel. If you are not in a Terp Classroom, the primary source will default to the main camera in the room. Be sure to select the Capture Computer Audio button if you are sharing any videos through the computer and would like to record the audio.
- Under the box entitled Secondary Sources, select Capture PowerPoint to capture your PowerPoint slides and select Capture Main Screen to capture what you share on the classroom computer screen.
- Select Record on the Panopto interface.
- Share your media with the classroom and record the media and lecture at the same time.
- If you are in a Terp Classroom and want to switch primary sources during the session, simply change the "Shared Video" selection to document camera or other camera in the room.
- Select Stop on the Panopto interface and select the Upload button.
- Your recording will appear in your ELMS-Canvas course after it is processed and uploaded to the cloud.
- Log out but do not turn off the computer if the upload is not complete.
In a nutshell
- Use only the classroom computer to access the room audio and camera systems.
- Choose a session folder to store the recordings.
- Use the Panopto menu in ELMS-Canvas to create recordings – recordings will automatically be placed in a folder associated with that course.
- Select a video and audio source for your session.
- Select the Upload button when finished to ensure session videos are NOT erased.
- Remember, session lengths are unlimited for recording.
- Do not use laptops, tablets, or phones if you need room cameras and mics.
- Use the document camera to write or use clickers for polling.
- Launch and end each session manually; recordings will not automatically start and stop.
For immediate help: 301.405.2500 (x52500)
report a problem | schedule training
get detailed instructions | more information